Friday, August 31, 2007

Teacher's Day

Teacher's Day today! A special day when teachers are able to cast benevolent smiles at the students (for once) and a special day when students suddenly appear so sweet and adorable.

Early in the morning, the principal was giving out awards to teachers for various categories, like Most Humorous Teacher etc, and they were voted by students. Unexpectedly, I was voted as Most Inspiring Teacher, and my mind was in a blank as I walked up to receive the award. Underneath the bright fake smile, I could see in the principal's eyes a burning desire to ask me 'What have you been inspiring those kids lately?', but I could only stare stunned and speechless at her and at the camera. Ah Tan was voted as Most Caring Teacher. The two of us felt like plunging into the school pond and hide there until the ceremony was over.

The whole school was buzzing with activity as students were busy preparing for their class parties and teachers flitting from class to class to join in the celebrations. I was swamped with gifts from the students, ranging from sweets to chocolates to soft toys. Awww ...

Some sweet 5C girls giving me a personally-decorated plate and a jar of folded heart-shaped straws

Me and some naughty boys from 1C

My form class was sweet enough to perform a dance for me! The two fat boys in a sweet embrace weren't even supposed to be in the dance, but nevertheless it was amusing watching them making a fool out of themselves.

My form class 1F

Me and some students (with cheeky Imran trying to sniff at my hair)

Now I had trouble finding space to store these lovely keepsakes ...

A beautiful hand-made cake (with *gulp* PURPLE icing)

The best part was ... HALF DAY! I was raring to go home and take a rest, and as the exhilaration wore off, I knew things (the usual scoldings and chasings) would be back to normal the next schoolday.

Teachers Day makes all the hard work done worthwhile.

1 comment:

Karen said...

so i guessed you really have fun as a teacher right? haha.