Thursday, September 06, 2007

National Inter-School Chess Competition

Was assigned to lead the school's chess team (comprising of 5 Sec 2 boys) to this National Inter-schools Chess Competition held at a primary school in Clementi. I was grumbling because it was the September holidays and I had to wake up early in the morning just for this!

19 schools (including JC) participated in this annual event

So I took those boys there, made some small chat with them along the way and sat them down at their respective table. Wow, they were playing against big names like RGS, Chinese High, ACS, Nanyang Girls, Catholic High etc. Seemed like we were the only neighbourhood school around, together with Bedok South Sec. And unfortunately for them, their first match was against RGS.

It was a swift defeat

Of course, they lost, and they were deeply demoralised. I couldn't blame them, because these boys did not receive any professional training in chess. There isn't even a Chess Club in the school! I did not have high hopes that they would win any awards. I just felt that this would be good exposure (and fun) for them.

Apparently the RGS girls proved to be too serious and shrewd to them. One of the boys complained that those girls could play mind games, like taunting them haughtily, "You cannot make this move, don't you KNOW the rules of the game?" Wow.

I was staring into space most of the time, waiting for each round to end. How interesting could chess be? I was staring in jealousy at a teacher who whiled her time away playing her PSP.

As the game progressed, the boys did win some of the other teams, much to my surprise, and that helped boost their confidence. Finally, it was 4pm and the last round of the competition. The boys were pitting against TKS, and if they won, they would be the champion for the East Zone. They were incredibly nervous, and I just told them not to take it too seriously and give themselves so much pressure.

Unfortunately, they lost and they were visibly disappointed. Nevertheless they came in 3rd in the East Zone (and got bronze medals for that), and came in 14th overall. That was considerably remarkable given that they were not trained in chess, and I do have to admit I am really proud of them.

After that, I sent the boys back to the MRT station, and I was glad I came to support these boys. It was a fruitful day.

No comments: