Monday, November 24, 2008

Investiture Programme

This week of seminars, talks and excursions, dubbed the Investiture Programme, will mark the end of my NIE course. I can't help but look back at those memorable times when I was physically present but mentally absent during lessons, bitching with my favourite mates Dappy and Peiying, meeting assignment deadlines, and observing weirdos around us and wondering how they could be teachers. It is amazing how this year has passed us by just like that, and it is getting increasingly daunting as the start of the three-year bond looms nearer. Maybe misery loves company, because the three of us love to whine about the pains and hazards of teaching and forecast about our definite job switches after the three years. I am so grateful to have met them.

Today, we had a compulsory excursion to the Science Centre, as they wanted us to experience the latest initiatives there and tap it as an educational resource. However, many of us felt that this seems more relevant to the Science teachers. Nevertheless, we had a great time enjoying playing around with the exhibits, especially the walk through the eco-garden.

Peiying having fun being an illusion

Me and Peiying

We spent the whole week attending talks on financial literacy, MOE code of conduct, pay package, CIP, health matters etc, but Peiying and I spent most of our time planning our own future expenses while Dappy was sleeping away. On the last day of the week, there was another excursion to the Sembawang Air Base, to look at helicopters, tanks, choppers and hunks in uniforms. With that, it concluded my honeymoon stay in NIE, but not the friendships I have made (and the $9.90 library fine I incurred).

No comments: