Monday, November 30, 2009

Hong Kong 2009 Day 7

Decided to just slack around nearby for today. Basically just walked aimlessly around Causeway Bay, Wan Chai and Central. Had lunch at the roast meat shop (the one selling skewered sparrows).

We could not deny that their roast meats are fabulous

Religion vs capitalism

In Central

Went rabid at the HMV in Central, sweeping DVDs of old-school HK and banned films into my arms. You could hardly get such films like 阴阳路, 精装追女仔, 龙凤茶楼 etc back home, including a rare find - BEYOND日记之莫欺少年穷 casting Beyond, which thrilled Slug and me. Now couldn't wait to return home to enjoy a film fest of all these films.

Chanced upon a 翠华 outlet along Wellington Street, and the taxi driver's rave reviews yesterday motivated us to go in for afternoon tea. Slug was ultra pleased with their pork cutlet bun, and now it was his turn to keep on raving about this renowned cha can teng.

Our afternoon tea of soup noodles

The pork cutlet bun tickled his tastebuds

It was on to Mongkok after that for a last visit to the bustling markets, shopping malls and Temple Street. Was hustled by an old lady waving a large board advertising manicure services up 信和中心 upon exiting the MTR station. She had pushed me a pamphlet and from the glazed look in my eyes while staring at the advertised promotion on gel nails (they were seriously cheap), she knew I was on the hook.

I was then led to a small pink store, where I spent the next 3 hours there doing my nails and watching TV. The first episode of 巴不得爸爸 was showing and Slug and I were already in love with the drama. After a while the old lady who had brought me there came in, left the pamphlets and board in one corner and left after receiving her wages from one of the manicurists. Just as I was raising an eyebrow at such a bizarre situation - an shabbily-dressed old woman promoting manicure services, I was also raising my other eyebrow at the male manicurist. A male in this feminine industry!

The finished artwork made me smile - these manicurists here are professionals in painting! For half the price of what I would have to pay in Singapore for this, I could get a better drawing standard too! Now I wish I never have to remove these delicate pieces.

The 3-hour wait was worth it!

Supper at the dim sum eatery at Temple Street (again) with Slug gorging on his favourite salted fish and minced meat pie with rice.

What a lavish spread

Walked along a dim alley after supper and wanted to steal one of the many posters promoting Ekin's concerts pasted on the building walls, but the hookers standing there were watching me. Shouldn't they just mind their own 'business'?

I was still hungry

Packed and got ready our luggage before we went to sleep. It was weird, but somehow I missed home - the clean fresh air, the green trees and my cats.

No comments: