Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Wedding Dinner at Marriott

Attended Ah Guang's wedding dinner at Marriott Hotel. Good thing that Ah Guang had arranged for a bus to pick us up (all relatives staying in the East) and ferry us there. Was chatting with Wee along the way, and as usual, Kar Cheng was asking Hao Ling stupid questions about God.

So all of us were seated at one table, Ah Sir, Wee, Kar Cheng, Henglip, Haoling, Ah Xian, Anthony and his girlfriend, and me. Stupid Kar Cheng tried to embarrass me by getting the in-house Santa Claus to give me a present (supposedly meant for kids), and he actually did! Within minutes, everyone had torn open the present, and distributed the snacks, sweets and toys around.

We teased the two adorable kids, Brandon and Gordon, who were dressed smartly today. Brandon looked like Albert Einstein / Gatsby spokesman with that flyaway hair of his, while Gordon looked all sweet and pretty in a tuxedo and that smooth and soft bob. Very difficult to get Gordon to pose for pictures. Tried my best to grab him and keep him still on my lap, but he kept wriggling and making funny faces.

Haoling, me, Gordon, Wee, Brandon, Ah Sir, with Ah Xian at the back

Me with cute Brandon

Haoling with Brandon

I was quite disturbed by the speed at which the servers clear our drinking glasses. Even when I had not finished my Coke (say, about half-full), it would be taken away and I would be given a new glass of Coke. I would be stunned for two seconds because I was thinking, 'What a waste!'

The food was great, and I recalled with relish what we had: Cold plate combination, celery with scallops, fried prawns in taro balls, shark's fin soup with a generous amount of crab meat, roast chicken with prawn crackers, steamed pomfret Teo-chew style, vegetables with sea cucumber and abalone, and last but not least, mango pudding in the shape of a carp.

The emcee was very charming and entertaining, and we enjoyed how he made Ah Guang do those little dances and limericks, and the four mini skits depicting romance stories of different cultures. Very handsome too.

We took more pictures, this time with Kar Cheng, but AS USUAL, he would try to make a fool out of himself.

Don't you just feel like slapping him?

We got 3rd Aunt to help take pictures of all of us, and Kar Cheng finally displayed that trademark spastic grin of his (second picture). We figured out that Kar Cheng can never be normal, like us.

After the dinner, Kar Cheng, Henglip and Haoling made plans to go for drinks, and they tempted Wee and me to go. Wee had work the next day, while I was just feeling plain tired. We showered praises on a happy 1st Aunt because she looked exceptionally ravishing today - glitter on her permed hair, shimmery eyeshadow, a black floral tight-fitting cheongsam and a diamond necklace with a huge ruby pendant and a pair of ruby earrings to match. The same bus came and took us home, and the night ended with me wondering when I can have a wedding as grand and fun as this.

No comments: