Saturday, December 02, 2006

Chalet Day 1

It's the annual chalet again, and my, how time seems to fly and all of us are once again together for a warm reunion at the boring Aloha Loyang.

Mum made a huge pot of stewed pork bun, tapioca kueh and orange jelly a la Marigold for the potluck dinner. The stewed pork bun is always a hit, because I always see Ah Ma gorging on the fatty pork without the bun, Wee gorging on the bun without the pork and Ah Ping gorging on the whole thing (and lots of them). Anyway it was a rare occasion for me to enjoy badly burnt barbequed chicken wings, satay and otah.

Halfway through eating, I undertook an important responsibility of catching and tickling Ah Gim's two kids (Gordon is so adorable!) while Wee had to be Mister Dragon (what fuck is that). It was a headache looking at those two hyper imps running to and fro in front of me for a full thirty minutes. Grabbing them was worse, I got my hands full of sweat and slime for doing that.

Haoling brought along a cute combat game about worms which kept Henglip (the kamikaze Bacon), her and me entertained while Wee and Ah Sir were flagrantly ripping techno songs from my handphone. After the dinner, we went to the seaside to brainstorm for lame jokes and ghost stories. Yeah, it has come to the extent where we really had to scour our brains for entertaining fodder, whereas in the past, we could not wait for our turn to speak. We ended up talking about Paris Hilton. How dry can this get?

We were amused with our folly when we overstayed the time limit of the gate to the chalet compound. The bicycle shop staff were apathetic towards our plight, and the security guard was patrolling in some twilight zone. So all the way we trudged back through the sandy beach and the muddy fields while Wee spoilt the serenity of the beach by warbling along to her newly snitched techno songs.

At around midnight, the older folks left, leaving Ah Sir, Wee, Henglip, Haoling and me to guard our chalet and protect a sleeping Ah Ma. So it was time to bathe, and I brought everything but my toothbrush and toothpaste. I checked with the rest of them and only Ah Sir brought a teeny weeny tube of toothpaste which probably was only enough to cover her upper deck of teeth. To my horror, they did not even bring their shower equipment. Very smart.

After that, it was a few rounds of mahjong before we watched Kung Fu Hustle (not that we were very eager to, but it was the most watchable among the three DVDs Haoling brought) on her laptop. Thanks to Wee, we had to eat her favourite Char Mee. As usual, Ah Sir had this very annoying tendency to secretly fall asleep while we were engrossed in the movie. Do not ever invite her to any midnight suppers or movie marathons or pyjama party.

We finally decided we had enough of Kung Fu Hustle at 5.30am and went to sleep.

4 comments:

Karen said...

hey... well written story on the chalet. I like that...

Karen said...

by the way.. it's me haoling...

Ah Qing said...

hey hey, u finally left some comments after you have been reading my blog quietly!

and how come i cannot access your blog????

Karen said...

hahaha... got someone harassing my blog, so i changed a new link..
www.nomoremeanymore.blogspot.com