Monday, July 10, 2006

Another Day at the Library

Spent the whole of today holing myself up at the library reading. I picked up a delightful read titled 'Full Circle' by Michael Palin. It chronicles his 245-day circumnavigation of the Pacific Rim with his BBC film crew, and all the colourful adventures and people that they encountered. His journey went in an anti-clockwise fashion starting from Alaska, to Russia, Japan, Korea, China, Vietnam, Philippines, Kuching, Jakarta, Alice Springs, New Zealand, Cape Horn, Chile, Peru, Columbia, Mexico, Los Angeles, Seattle, Canada and back to Alaska. A great travelogue that stretches the imagination.

Today I received a honourable invitation to be a part-timer at RI. As if their comment that I "didn't shine during internship" wasn't disparaging enough, now they have to further belittle me by confirming my value as a part-timer. Sickening.

Started to realise that the air-con was getting increasingly powerful. Even pulling on a sweater wasn't enough. I suspect the library turns up the air-con so as to deter ah peks in shorts from dozing there. I decided to get some hot chocolate at the in-house Cafe Galilee. Sinking into the warm velvety couch did help, but the hot chocolate grew cold within 10 minutes. I accidentally fell asleep, but only to be rudely awakened by some whispering from the counter staff, "That couch must be very comfortable, almost everyone sleeps in it!" Nosey-parker. I hate people talking about me behind my back or when I am sleeping.

I think FYP has screwed up my biological clock. All those late nights slaving at the computer has rendered me nocturnal. As usual, I could not sleep early again but I was lucky to pick up a delightful Thai midnight movie on TV. Suddenly I miss Thailand.

No comments: