Thursday, July 27, 2006

My Convocation

Today is my Convocation Day! A significant milestone in my life to mark my departure from a place that made me sick almost everyday.

Met Spongebob at CS, and almost everybody there had put on their graduation gowns. It was stupid, because it was quite hot and humid so wearing two layers of clothing then was pure insensible.

Spongebob and I (Oooo, I like her new hairstyle! Just like mine!)

We all walked from CS to the Auditorium to get ready to be seated at 5.30pm. It was a messy crowd which I had to wade through endlessly to get to the toilet. I was at an all-time frenzy because 1) it was already 5.45pm and my parents were late and seeing other parents holding their princes' and princesses' hands and strolling gloriously into the Auditorium Hall made me want to barricade the whole Hall until my parents come, 2) as such, I nearly forgot to register my attendance and it took 4 friends and 3 ushers to persuade me to do so, 3) and I could not balance the over-sized mortar board on my head and I was gasping madly "Is it slanted! Is it alright!" to innocent passers-by.

They finally came and I fled into the Hall. What followed was a speech by Cherian George and the ceremony. The procedure was to walk up the stage, shake hands with Dean Ang and receive the folder from him, flash a mega-watt smile at the camera and descend the stage. I decided to give my best smile that would make my parents proud, but I was so nervous that I forgot to do so after receiving my folder and was about to walk off when Dean Ang hissed at me "Smile!". That resulted in one crooked smile and mild laughter from the audience. The ceremony ended with our star student giving his speech.

After the ceremony, there was some photo-taking and mingling with some sweet people and it was off to the reception serving a buffet dinner.

Me and Joanie

Me, Kavita and Jasmine

Me and Limin flashing our folders

Me and Spongebob

It wasn't a magnificent buffet dinner, so I did not eat much. Then I had late-night supper with Sluggie because I was in high spirits. We ordered tze char at 496, sweeet!

At 496 coffeeshop

Yam ring overflowing with chicken chunks, cashew nuts, seafood pieces and assorted vegetables

A pretty kitty with which I shared a BBQ chicken wing with

My dream job

Thinking back on these four years spent at NTU studying, working on projects and squeezing with the crowd on Bus 179 during peak hours, they seem to pass by me quickly but in a lacklustre way. I never fully enjoyed them. If I were to offset my truancy days from my four years of study, I probably went to school officially for two years (excluding the half-year internship). Even when I turned up for a lesson, my mind was most of the times drifting to unknown realms. I hardly had time to keep up with my readings and in the middle of an examination paper, I spent more time combing my hair than actually penning down my answers. Friends came and went, but it was immunizing after a while. There just are too many superficial and hypocritical people around for me to waste my time on.

I am glad that I made it to this day. As I turn over the page to conclude this last academic stage in my life, I shall not dwell on my mediocre results, my inactive participation, my pathetic social circle and the discouraging and miserable moments that I have experienced in school. But I cannot deny I have emerged from NTU a more learned and insightful person, who has gained betterment in many aspects which I shall not elaborate here. What I can say is that as I embark on a new journey into the working society, I aim to achieve my dreams, strive for knowledge and personal growth, attain my ideal life and of course, keep my sanity in this chaotic and heartbreaking world.

1 comment:

Ah Qing said...

SPONGEBOB!!!

Of course I like ur hairstyle! I have been keeping that kind of hair since i was born!

I cant get into your blog! it keeps shutting down! (or is it no longer there???)