Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Day at a Childcare Centre

Met Necks for lunch at Tampines Mall, and after that, we were supposed to go to the childcare centre where his mother works to visit his 'kids', especially his favourite twins. He frequents there and has since took a liking to the toddlers there, especially the twins.

I think he is a changed person. When he opens his mouth, he is either gushing over the cute blunders made by the twins or filling me in with the background details of his favourite kids there. He even intends to open a childcare centre in future and it freaks me out to think he might become the next MJ.

It is their nap time from 1 to 3pm, so we went there at 4pm. When we reached there, the toddlers were already up and doing things like painting, playing with the toys or simply running around. The playgroup which Necks's mother is in charge of is a group of 15 two- and three-year-olds. When they saw Necks peering at them through the window panes, most of them swarmed to the windows and looked at us expectantly. The younger of the twins, Di Di, was the most endearing. He let out a loud and excited "Big Kor Kor!" and dashed for the window. Stupid Necks was all smiles.

We stepped into the childcare centre and Necks busied himself with the twins, ignoring the rest of the kids who were looking at them enviously. They were shy and guarded towards me initially, but Jiaxian (a girl who is of Chinese nationality) and Bryan (whose eyes have a physical deformity) soon warmed up to me. My personal favourite is Euan, an ultra-adorable boy who likes to lunge at us for rough hugs.

The twins (during their three-year-old birthday celebration)

My favourite handsome Euan (the one in the jacket)

When it was time to go to the playground nearby for their play time, Jiaxian and Bryan rushed to hold hands with me and would not let go even when I wanted to put on my shoes. But Necks's mother wanted me to hold Euan's hand because he is the naughtiest, so Bryan was ordered to hold hands with another boy. On the way, Jiaxian was telling me what toys her parents bought for her and Euan was rambling "Mitsubishi" to himself.

At the playground, all of them ran around and played freely. I did not know kids could sweat that much, until Jiaxian clambered to sit on my laps halfway through her playing and I immediately regretted putting my hands on her arms. Necks and his mother were cheekily asking the twins who do they prefer more, Big Kor Kor or Teacher Poh.

When it was time to go, I went to drag Euan, and Jiaxian and Bryan actually fought to hold my remaining available hand. Not wanting them to be aggressive, I had to let go of Euan. Stupid Necks was satisifed to have the twins holding his hands.

Back at the childcare centre, the kids washed their hands and drank water. Then they were sent to the main hall to watch cartoons with other groups of older kids while waiting for their parents to fetch them home. When Necks and his mother told the twins that they were going home, they were whining "Cannot go home!" and were ready to activate their tear ducts. So one of the teachers had to distract them by giving them stickers so that we can all sneak out of the childcare centre without their knowledge.

Now I know why Necks is smitten with these kids, even I myself find them so innocently endearing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

shit u la. u need to give birth to a baby.

Ah Qing said...

i would rather adopt euan. keke.

Anonymous said...

so are we going kukup.. yb pls don go.. i scared i wil drown

Anonymous said...

shit u la wee. the kids will run away screaming at the sight of u.