Thursday, July 13, 2006

Collection of my Graduation Gown and Miscellaneous Stuff

Went to school today to pick up my graduation gown, invitation cards for my convocation ceremony and certificate and transcript. A labourious process.

Baby rode to pick me up, then we headed to school. When we reached the Auditorium, we were at a loss because there were so many unfamiliar faces there. We were then ushered to update our personal particulars, and choose our graduation gowns, hoods and mortarboards. Then I collected my certificate and my very 'outstanding' transcript, but before I am allowed do that, I had to pay up the 30-cent fine I owed the NIE Library. Unscrupulous.

It was horrible because we were ambushed by the many pesky promoters around. Some were pestering us to join the Alumni Club or some business setup club, some were asking us if we want to make a dazzling gold-plated plaque out of our certificates (Puuleeease, with the kind of Honours I am getting, I would rather shred my certificate and never acknowledge its existence) and some were selling some stage phototaking services. The most memorable one was when we were bombarded with requests for donations to the school.

Then we went to SAC to claim our receipts (finally!) and on a more sentimental note, pay HK a last visit. Although there were changes here and there, my mind could not help but flash back to those FYP days where all the photocopying, glueing, slipper-packing and brainstorming went on. They are all over, but they are still an unforgettable part of my uni days. Aww.

I was hit by a great blow of disappointment today. Sometimes we may trust people so much that we may ignore the possibility that they may not reciprocate our benevolent intentions or actions. The tangible loss from the betrayal may be small, but the action itself causes a wall of trust that has taken years to build to crumble instantaneously. The disbelief, the hurt and the helplessness.

No comments: